Friday, June 20, 2008

Enough with the Faulty Forwards!

One thing you need to understand about me is that I need to see proof of things. This is part of my analytical nature. As a matter of fact, I took the assessment associated with the book "Now, Discover Your Strengths" by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton, Ph.D. a couple of years back when I was changed by our church's first Serve Weekend. Here are the top five, in order, as well a very brief summary of each, straight from the online resource:

1. Analytical - People strong in the Analytical theme search for reasons and causes. They have the ability to think about all the factors that might affect a situation
2. Consistency - People strong in the Consistency theme are keenly aware of the need to treat people the same. They try to treat everyone in the world with consistency by setting up clear rules and adhering to them.
3. Deliberative - People strong in the Deliberative theme are best described by the serious care they take in making decisions or choices. They anticipate the obstacles.
4. Competition - People strong in the Competition theme measure their progress against the performance of others. They strive to win first place and revel in contests.
5. Intellection - People strong in the Intellection theme are characterized by their intellectual activity. They are introspective and appreciate intellectual discussions.

So what do you think, based on what you know about me? I'd say it's not too far off It nailed analytical, which brings me to the point I originally was trying to make with this entry. In the past week, I have received three forwarded e-mails (two dealing with gas) wanting action to be taken for one cause or another, that are completely bogus. I have places a link on the left side of this blog (snopes.com) where you can usually check whether or not something has any truth behind (or logic) behind it. Once in a while I'll respond to the person who sent them to me, and I love replying all because I really don't like spreading rumors and would prefer to "put the fire out" when I know it's not true. I'm not upset with anyone so please don't interpret this entry that way. (I have probably received at least one from each of you at one time or another.) Just realize that if you send me something like that, I will always delete it and always be extremely skeptical of it.

On a different note...man, has it been hot! We broke 100 today here in Whittier. I have to admit I'm enjoying working in El Segundo as it was probably around 80 or so there. It was a comfortable walk to the train station (about a 1/2 mile), but when I stepped out of the train in Norwalk, the heat was blasting! However, I shouldn't complain too much. I would rather have this weather than 60 degrees as a high. I'm definitely a warm/hot weather person. However, I'm not looking forward to the heat in Corona tomorrow as it is usually about 10 degrees warmer out there than here this time of year. We'll be there for a birthday party of one of our friends' kids. And that's after birthday party in the morning for the son of a couple in our Sunday School class. All the while, Traci will be at a bridal shower for her cousin who is getting married in September. And there's another friend's kid's birthday party we aren't going to tomorrow. At least we're at the end of the birthday madness for the year. From here on out they are pretty scattered.

No comments: