Friday, September 30, 2011

1 Year

It's hard to believe that as of tomorrow I will have been unemployed for 1 year.  And if you told me that we would still be in our house and not have touched our 401k's, I would have thought you were crazy.  However, here we stand one year later and it's all true still.

I'm still searching for jobs just as hard, if not harder, than I have so far.  And lately it's paid off somewhat.  I had one interview this past Monday, one yesterday, and have one more coming up on Monday.  All the while, I'm still in the running and waiting to hear back from Paramount Petroleum (in Paramount) about the purchasing position at their refinery.  Of the four jobs I'm currently in the running for, Paramount is easily the top choice, with Southern California Edison (Long Beach...past Monday) being second and Abener Teyma (Victorville, yesterday) being third.  As for where Monday's interview's company lies (SF Bay area), we'll have to wait and see my impression of the job after the interview.  My guess is that it will wind up as my second preference behind the refinery job.

As for other things in life that are keeping my spirits up and my mind off being employed, coaching soccer is at the top.  Even though my older team is challenging in the sense that it is hard to keep their attention, I still enjoy coaching them.  Skyler team is low maintenance and always fun. 

Today I did something else that I really enjoyed.  I went to the girls' school for Read Across OD Day (for the first time) and got to read a from a couple of books to Courtney's class.  They were so quiet and paid attention the whole time.  It was great!  Also, since I had expressed interest to the teacher about helping with math in the classroom at Back to School Night, she asked if I would like to come in for 45 minutes of Fridays starting next week to do just that.  I agreed and therefore will be helping in her class on Fridays.  That should be a lot of fun.

As for this coming weekend, church should be more fun than normal.  We'll be celebrating our church's 40th anniversary and there will be a huge picnic type thing starting after the 9:30 service.  While I was at church taking pictures of Courtney's choir for their Christmas performance, I heard the band practicing for Sunday's service and they were practicing my favorite worship song..."Everything".  It is an amazing song and I don't think I could ever get tired of that song.  It's on my song blog so you can check it out here if you'd like to.

Hopefully I'll have some good news on the job front in the next week or so as I expect to find out about the Paramount job next week.  Stay tuned...

No comments: