Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pet Peeves

There a number of things that bother me like any other human being. For a while I've been contemplating whether or not to post some of them because many of them come from people I know.  I've wondered how people will react (not that I have that many followers or anything), but in the end it doesn't matter to me.  (If people want to unfriend me on Facebook, let them.  I don't get upset by that and think that people who do get upset over that have other issues.  I will keep in touch with the people I truly care about.  Ok, enough sub-blogging...back to the main topic.)  So here are some of my pet peeves and associated sarcastic or not so sarcastic comments.  I also understand that I may very well be guilty of these as well.  I certainly try not to be, but I am human.
  • Double standards - This is one of my top ones.  It is extremely irritating when people think the rules don't apply to them or they are an exception to the rules or they find a way to "work around the system".   One example that I'm sure will rile people up is the whole gay marriage thing.  Those who don't agree with gay marriage are often referred to as bigots, while those who calling them that name are just as bigoted as they claim others are because they are not willing to consider the other side's point of view either.
  • Hypocrites - People who practice what I described above.  In my opinion, these first two typically go hand in hand.
  • Holding grudges - I will admit this is easily the one I am most guilty of.  While I often find myself telling others (to myself) to get over it and move on, I almost always immediately thing of something I hold onto and still feel at least somewhat bitter about.  (I could easily rattle off about half a dozed things dating as far back as 20+ years ago.)  I do try to work on changing this part of me, but it is very hard.
  • Arguments based on false assumptions - I have no problem following an argument that is logical.  However, if you base that argument (or opinion or whatever) on false assumptions (things you assume to be true that are in fact false), you lose credibility with me.
  • Extremists - I'm not talking about religious (i.e. Islam) extremists.  I'm talking about people who when they tell you something, make it seem as though it is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.  I understand things don't always go our way, but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world.  When things dd go your way, it's not the lottery or a life-changing event every time.  It gets old really quick and makes me realize that they probably are also guilty of the following pet peeve.
  • Attention seekers - This does not just apply to the extremists.  There are also those people who while having a 1 on 1 type conversation will speak louder so that others (whoever is around) will hear them.  The worst is when they make the statement while looking at you when you're not in the conversation or look at you right after like they expect you to make a comment.
  • (Facebook specific) Kid pictures...tens, hundred, thousands per day - Those of us with kids love our kids.  I think that's pretty standard, at least among the people I know and hang out with.  However, if you spend all day posting pictures of your kids and/or telling everyone how special they are, it gets annoying...quickly.  We all post pictures of our kids (or nieces/nephews) and I think that is to be expected, but at some point it passes the point of obsessive.  Hopefully I'm not guilty of this one, although I would understand if people claim that I obsessively post about the Dodgers.  (I won't argue with that one this year.)
That's probably enough for now.  I'll let you start chewing me out for my bigoted, hypocritical, extreme opinions...judge me as you will.  Have at it!

No comments: