Monday, February 23, 2009

A Good Day

Today was one of those days you always look forward too having, but are never really sure when it's coming. Two cool things happened today, although we won't experience the effects for a little while.

First, Traci's cousin Teri prepared our taxes today. We went out to her house in Rancho Cucamonga yesterday to give her all the stuff she needed. Plus we hadn't seen her and Kevin's house before. We also visited for a little while. We don't see them very often so it was nice to visit. Well, she let us know what state and federal refund will be and they are about what I was expecting. I knew it would be less than last year because I increased my withholdings this year so we could have more money each paycheck. We still came out pretty good. It will help us catch our breath financially and should be here next month. (Well actually we won't know it's ours until we check our bank account...the joys of direct deposit.) Our state refund was actually a few hundred higher than last year, which surprised me, so that was good news too!

The other good news was that I got a formal job offer for the last position I applied for. It's a lateral move, but will allow for many additional opportunities in the future. So it feels like a promotion in that sense. The start date is March 1 (next week). However, I probably won't start the responsibilities associated with it until the following week because I will be in San Ramon transferring responsibilities to the rest of the team I'm on now, especially the other analyst for next week (Monday - Thursday). It's exciting as it is the first of what I hope will be many moves within Chevron's El Segundo refinery during my career.

A side note. It's kind of funny that we'll be picking up my parents at LAX next Sunday when they return from Colorado and then my dad is taking me to LAX the following morning for my trip. It's funny how when we go to LAX, the trips seem to come in clusters. Don't know why that is, but it's kind of funny.

It's good to have a good day coming off a busy and fun weekend where we celebrated Courtney's 5th birthday. I don't think I'll be posting any pictures here as I have already posted them on Facebook. Check them out there if you would like.

No comments: