Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Job(less) Update

In my last post, I mentioned that I was expecting a call from a company (Kaiser) that seemed to have interest in me.  Well, in the time since that post, I have had two interviews with them.  The first was with the recruiter and lasted about a half hour.  I made it past that screening and had a second interview yesterday.  That one lasted an hour and 14 minutes, and I am not waiting to hear what happens next, which I was told I should know in the next few days.  I feel good about how it went and am really hoping they feel the same way, which should mean a third interview, face-to-face finally...hopefully...since the first two have been via phone.

One thing that I feel good about is that I don't really get that nervous for interviews, especially over the phone.  Also, since I have taken advantage of the career counselor services provided by Chevron, I was pretty well prepared for this last interview since I had been given a cd by my counselor about nearly 100 interview questions and how they should/could be answered.  I remember two questions I was asked were worded exactly the same on the cd as they were in the interview.  The interviewer, who would be my manager if I'm hired, seemed to be pretty interested in many of the things I was saying.  he spent most of the interview asking me about a variety of different situations that I had experienced, which made the interview that much easier.  There was only one that I had a little trouble coming up with an answer for, but I did come up with one.

Needless to say, I'm really hoping this will work out and that they realize that I'm the right person for them to hire.  The commute (Pasadena) would be 2 miles longer than my current commute (El Segundo), which is manageable.  This would also represent the third general area of the "Southland" that I have worked in: Irvine, El Segundo, Pasadena.  To me that is kind of cool because it gives me more familiarity with southern California, especially when it comes to alternate route.  I already have the alternate route to/from Pasadena recognized, and it would cut the commute to 21 miles via surface streets the entire way!

So what have I been doing with all this time at home?  The biggest thing to me is spending time with the family.  I get to take the kids to school and pick them up, which I love doing.  I get to spend more time with Traci, although with the way Traci Steinman Photography is going, she is pretty busy now, not to mention that she is also co-coordinator for MOPS at our church, which is another job all by itself.  I have been doing some job searching, although that has slowed considerably with the prospects of this job at Kaiser.  Plus I have attended a few webinars related to job search preparations, via the career counseling services company.

I also spend time just hanging out.  It's been nice to be able to watch the playoff games that are on during the day (even though the Dodgers are already playing golf) and I have taken Skyler to Disneyland a couple of times while Courtney has been in school.  I'm planning on taking Courtney by herself on the 29th since she doesn't have school that day (parent conferences) so that we can do all the fast and crazy rides she wants since we're kind of limited when we usually go.

The highlight of my week has remained Saturday because of the joy I experience coaching Skyler's soccer team.  I haven't felt that good about doing something in quite a while.  The kids are great, the patents are great, my assistant coach is great and my team mom is great.  Of course it helps that the Asst. Coach and Team Mom are family, but that makes it that much better.

Traci and the girls will be home from the gym soon, so I better catch up on the Yanks-Rangers game and hope that the Rangers are taking control of the series!  Too late, they're home and need to get ready for bed...the girls anyway.

1 comment:

micah said...

That's great! Sounds very promising...

Go Rangers! :-)