Friday, November 5, 2010

Mindful Diarrhea

It's about 11:00pm as I start to write this and while I should be going to bed, there are too many things going through my mind to allow me to go to sleep right now...a movie I just watched the end of, a disturbing trend I've noticed on the news and life in general.

We just started a free 90-day trials of a movie package through FiOS and tonight is the first night we have had access to it.  I caught the end of a movie that just disturbed me somewhat.  What happened was this...there was a couple that was engaged to be married, and his friends throw him a crazy frat house bachelor party.  He does things he's not supposed to and gets caught in a situation he should not have been in in the first place.  This was partly setup by his fiance's ex.  Because of this, he is late to his wedding, arriving as his then former fiance is walking out of the church married to the ex that set him up.  He (former ex, now husband) cheats on her almost immediately and she goes running back to the guy she was going to marry in the first place.

The whole premise of a bachelor party like that doesn't sit well with me in the first place.  I know I would not have been able to look Traci in the eyes at our wedding and seriously mean the vows I said to her if I had been through something like that.  I'm glad my bachelor was pretty cool...box seats to a Dodger game (where I was forced to wear a Giants hat for the entire game) driven there by limo (which was way cool!) and I think that was after we hung out for a bit at Dave & Buster's.  My type of laid back gathering.

Along the same lines, we already have dates saved for three wedding next year, and each of them in a cool place!  The first one is on a cruise ship, although sadly enough, we will not be able to go on the cruise with everyone else afterwards.  The second one is in Colorado, which we would love to go to, but probably will not know until just before.  The third wedding is two weeks after the second one and is in the Mid-west.  I would love to attend all three if invited, but money will be the key issue.  (Isn't it always!)

The second disturbing trend is kids being killed and more specifically being killed by crazy parents that are seeking to do harm.  I have heard of two cases like this in the past week locally in So Cal.  it's ridiculous to me.  I don't care what the reason is for wanting to do harm, there is just no excuse for actions like this.  My personal opinion is that is probably a lack of maturity, at least in some cases, and in others it could very well be a mental disorder.  (I understand what it is like to have mental problems and think crazy things.  That's where I was exactly one year ago.)  One of the incidents was where a 19 year-old and her 10 day-old baby were killed by the father/ex-boyfriend when the mother wouldn't let him have the baby earlier in the day.  Hearing about that reminded of a show I watched briefly for the first time the other day..."16 and Pregnant".  I think it's on MTV.  The girl was pregnant and the boyfriend was rarely home because of work and then hanging out with friends.  He was ignorantly irresponsible; not for the work, but for always going out with friends (pretty much every day) after work.

Watch out, here comes my soapbox to pick me up.  If you have sex, you know what the potential consequences are!  (Perhaps my assumption is ignorant, but I like to think that people who get themselves into a situation where they can actually have sex have half a brain that works.)  You should understand that before you put yourself into that situation.  This leads into my beliefs on abortion (uh oh, rare controversial topic opinion ahead).  It seems that many women and nearly all politicians are pro-choice.  I would not have a problem with this concept if the baby inside the womb was able to say "I don't want my parents!  They are stupid and are not capable of taking care of me!"  There is only one situation where I think abortion is ok, and that is if the mother's life is in jeopardy.  In other words, it is a matter of losing two lives or one.  I have a friend who was unfortunately and unexpectedly in that situation.  It was not something she wanted to do, but needed to do in order to try to fight for her life.  Unfortunately, she passed away a year and a half later.  The one aspect of abortion that I'm kind of semi-iffy on is rape.  On one side, sex was forced not desired.  On the other side, I don't believe in murder, and yes I do think abortion is murder.  Please explain to me how stopping a beating heart is not considered killing life, or how eliminating something that will develop a beating heart is not wrong.  Therefore, I still think that abortion from rape is not ok, even though it is probably not wanted.  Ok, the soapbox has left.

Other things in life that are constantly running through my head all seem to revolve around my job situation. I have now been home from work for over a month, and although I am still on payroll through next Tuesday and have a severance package coming after that, I still wonder how long this will go on and how I will be able to provide for my family should this extend beyond our financial means.  I do have one potential job in the works, but it's just that: in the works.  Nothing is certain until I am on-site, being paid to work, and the prospective job would have me as a contractor, which is somewhat unsettling although I believe that once I'm in there, I will prove to them that they need to keep me around.  I've heard of many instances where people are out of work for several months, some over a year, in this economy.  So if  this job does come through, I will consider myself lucky and privileged.

Well, I don't know about you, but I feel better and have cleared my mind somewhat.  Hopefully I can sleep better now.  Especially since we have soccer in the morning, followed by a 3-hour drive to Santa Maria where we are spending the night, courtesy of one of Traci's clients (high school friend) is paying for our hotel for us so that Traci can do a photo shoot for them.  Oh, and I have to do more laundry, too.  Gotta be sure we have everything ready for the trip that we need!

No comments: