Monday, January 17, 2011

Happy New Year

I just realized I haven't blogged in over a month.  Oops.  Oh well, that happens.  The holidays kind of keep things busy, though.  And once the holidays are past, we are full steam into birthday mode.

This past Saturday was Skyler's birthday party and it went really well.  We invited maybe half as many people as we normally do and it was much more comfortable in the house.  She got a lot of things to play with and some cute clothes.  The bouncer was a hit as always, and we got it for free since it was delivered a little after the party had started.  We were ready to stop using this place, but since they seemed genuinely sorry and let us use it for free, they are still on our usable list. 

Skyler is now 5 and she is very excited about.  Her class celebrated her birthday last Wednesday since she doesn't go on Thursdays.  She got to wear a special birthday hat and we brought Rice Crispie treats for their snack.  It was fun to be there for it.  Her teachers asked her how old she was and she said 4.  This confused the teachers until they asked how old she would be tomorrow.  She said that tomorrow (Thursday) she would be 5.  She is so literal...just like me.

Traci's photography is going well.  We found a good deal on a 2TB external hard drive so we now have that and our computer and all of Traci's pictures, are backed up.  It's nice to have that comfort.  After all, we've had our computer for 6 years now.  We've had our printer for 2 1/2 years and it's on it's last leg.  One of the nice things about Traci's business is that so many of our purchases are write offs!  It also has other perks.  Traci has booked her first wedding in March, and it turns out that payment for her services is that we get to go on the cruise where the wedding is...FOR FREE!!!!

I'm still looking for a job now that I have been out of work for 3 1/2 months.  Money has been ok to this point, but it's starting to get scary.  I've had a couple of good leads and prospects, but they haven't panned out.  I had two interviews with Kaiser, but they decided to go with internal people.  I met with a construction management company about being a Project (contract) manager, but the only thing I was missing was medical equipment purchasing experience.  I was contacted a week ago about submitting my resume for a position at Chevron as a contractor.  It would be an 18-month contract.  There would be no benefits or paid time off, but it would be like a promotion with higher pay.  Looking strictly at base pay (salary before and hourly for this), it's about a 50% pay increase.  I think I could manage that.  However, it is one of those too good to be true type feelings I have so I don't' have any expectations.  They said they wanted to fill it as quickly as possible, but I didn't hear anything back last week after I was contacted on Monday.  I sent a couple of e-mails and left a voice mail so I'm going to try to not contact them too much this week for fear of irritating them, but still let them know that I am very interested in this position.  We'll see.

Softball season is coming up and both girls are signed up.  This is the first year Skyler has been eligible so this is the only year she and Courtney will be in the same division.  I have also signed up to be a coach so I'm especially looking forward to the season.  If I get a job before or during the season, that may complicate things, but we'll figure something out.

Over the weekend I was asked to be a part of a wedding this Summer if I am able to (i.e. have a job/am financially able to go).  It's in Missouri which is why the finances are an issue.  I'm hoping it works out because I really want to be a part of my good friend's wedding.

Well, I guess it's back to Facebook for me since Traci and the girls are at a teddy bear tea party.  TTFN!

No comments: