Thursday, January 1, 2009

Oooooooh! Aaaaaaaaaah!!

With a new year comes a new look to the blog. No new features or anything really (besides the blog description above), so don't get your panties in a bunch. Just thought I would change things up a little.

Speaking of changing things, I had my first really messy plumbing experience this morning. I called my father-in-law over to see if he could lend me a tool and maybe help fix the bathroom sink clog if he knew how. So he guided me through the process of dismantling the U-shaped trap area under the sink. (I heard on a tv show this is where most of the clogs occur so decided to try that instead of calling a plumber who would charge who knows how much.) This was after I had already taken out the drain plug to discover there was nothing there to clog the sink. Anyway, we get the U-pipe (as I'll refer to it, not being a plumber) off and after emptying it out and discovering the clog was not there either, it was suggested I stick my fingers in the pipe coming out of the wall to see if I could feel anything.

Bingo! I felt something just an inch or so in. After using a couple of small tools to try to get the clog out, we undid a wire hanger and shoved that into the pipe. When I tried to pull it out it got stuck. Needless to say, some force had to be used to remove it, and when I did, it went all over my shirt (and in a little too) and pants in an explosion-like manner. Talk about starting off the new year with a bang!

In hindsight, a picture would have done the incident more justice than this description, but at the same time, may have induced vomiting to some of you. Let's just say it was nasty looking (black, gray and grimy/slimy) and smelled like crazy. And even though I got my Home Depot fix for today, I will be calling a plumber to complete the repair. Things are hooked up, but leaking. My father-in-law didn't want to tighten things anymore for fear of doing damage, and I don't blame him one bit.

So after my second shower of the day, I am feeling cleaner, the bathroom is all cleaned up (from the "explosion") and all are napping except for me. Life is good.

1 comment:

Traci said...

And the nap was good. I must have needed it. That was a seriously disgusting smell. I couldn't even go near the bathroom, but you were in it. EWWWW!!!!