Friday, May 15, 2009

A Long Week

This has been a long week already and the weekend is just beginning, which means things just speed up.

As you may or may not know, we lost a good friend Monica on Monday evening. She had been battling Angiosarcoma for about a year and a half and ultimately lost her battle. She leaves behind her husband of more than 7 years, Sol, and their 2 year old son, Kai. It's a very heart-breaking time. We got to know Monica ans Sol through our Sunday School class. They have been a part of the class for about 6 years I think and fit right in. Traci got to know Monica pretty good as they seemed to have a lot in common like games and scrapbooking. I think her passing is probably hitting Traci more than me because of that., although it still has gotten to me all week. She was a great part of the class and will be missed dearly.

Tuesday and Wednesday I teared up off and on all day, so I took Thursday as a vacation day to just try to relax and be available for Sol if he needed anything, and today is my normal day off. I think the reason I am so sad and upset is not because Monica is actually gone, although that's definitely part of it. I think it's more because I empathize with Sol. I picture what I would feel like losing Traci, being left to raise Courtney and Skyler by myself. I picture myself having to talk to them about why Mommy won't be home with us and having to deal with their pain as well as mine. I just cannot imagine what that would be like and hope that I never have to. Losing someone you love is never easy. Losing someone who makes you who you are and gives you motivation for life, is incomprehensible to me. (Needless to say, I have been hugginh my family with more meaning this week.) And yet here I am trying to help a friend who is going through exactly that. My heart goes out to Sol and Kai as they adjust to their new life. I'm just really glad that they know God, and because of that, can know that someday they will see Monica again. And she will a happy, perfectly healthy Monica. What a day that will be! I think that's why I'm not as upset over missing Monica, because I know she's in Heaven and having an amazing time hanging out with all the people she knows that are already there.

I bet God has a volleyball court for her, too. I decided to google her name earlier this week and came across an article from a few years ago when she was inducted into her college's Hall of Fame (the inaugural induction I might add). I didn't realize she was so good at volleyball.

I didn't know what to expect when I went to see Sol on Wednesday after work. He seemed to be doing well, all things considered. It was really good to see him and give him a hug and talk for a little bit. I know he's been through a lot and to be holding up as well as it appears he is, is amazing to me.

So, as the weekend is now here, plans get insane as they seem to on too many weekends. Courtney has school today, as is normal on Fridays, although she only has 4 weeks of preschool left now. I've already taken my dad to his post-cataract-surgery appointment (things are going as they should) and he treated me to breakfast. The rest of the day is pretty open, but I may be spending time with Sol. Tomorrow will be a little crazy. I'll have the girls most of the day as Traci has a full morning beginning with MOPS/MOMS brunch with church. As soon as she gets home, it's off to a friend's baby shower. Meanwhile I have to take Courtney up to church for choir practice for their performance on Sunday night. Then after everyone is home, we (at least Traci and I) will head to Monica's memorial service at church Saturday evening. Sunday morning will be church as normal, but with Roads and Bridges (the Sunday School class I lead) hosting a time of prayer and talk about Monica, Sol and Kai. Then to wrap up the weekend, we will see Courtney perform in a musical at church Sunday evening. It will be a long and emotional weekend, but I'm up for it. I need to be.

No comments: