Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Another Interview

Had an interview for a position with BP today.  It's a local position based out of Carson.  I think it went pretty well and should know something by the end of this week, according to the guy who interviewed me.  It is only a 6-month contract position, but it would be living off of unemployment and savings.  Although it seemed to go well, it would only be a good short-term solution, not long-term, which is a concern for me.  If I were to accept this position, if it is offered to me, I would not stop looking for other jobs or take myself out of the interview process for Hawaiian Airlines, which is a full-time, employee position, with benefits and everything.  (BP would just be pay, no benefits, paid time off, etc.)

The concerns about the long-term picture with BP has more than one component.  One is that it is pretty certain to be just a 6-month position, meaning I would be without a job come the beginning of 2012.  While they are currently looking to fill the position with a contracted worker, they would still be searching and interviewing to fill it with a "permanent" full-time employee, meaning I may or may not be in the running.  Secondly, the refinery I would be working at is in the process of being sold.  When the sale happens, who knows what that could mean for me as an employee there.  I could be kept around by the new owner or I could be let go if they decide they have someone else in mind that they would like to bring in.  Of course they could offer me the position and everything could work out, but it seems like that has as much of a chance of happening as the concerns I just pointed out.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting to hear on when my second interview with Hawaiian Airlines will be.  The guy who interviewed me the first time (Sr. Director of Strategic Procurement) is now on vacation the rest of this week.  I haven't gotten a call back from the (external) recruiter for this position, who is traveling today, either.  I'm assuming I will know when the next interview is sometime next week, which could be a problem depending on whether or not BP makes an offer.  It's a lot to think about, but I'm really just running possible scenarios through my head at this point since nothing has happened.  With my active mind, stuff like this constantly runs through my head and I try to think of what I would do in the different possible situations, but who knows.  There could be something else out there that I don't know about yet.

No comments: