Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summer Travels

After spending a long day in El Cajon last Saturday, helping our pastor friend and his family move, I realized that this coming weekend (starting in a few minutes), will be the last entire weekend I spend at home/in town at least until mid-August.  I guess I better enjoy it.

Next weekend, we head to San Diego for a day for Traci's family's (dad's side) annual family reunion in Mission Bay in San Diego.  It's always fun and when it's not overcast, it's great weather usually.

The weekend after that, I am in St. Louis for my friends wedding, which I am a groomsman in.  I'm very excited about this because we have been friend for about 20 years now.  Also, I've never been to St. Louis, and the night I get there (two weeks from today), I will be enjoying a Cardinals-Astros game at Busch Stadium; another ballpark I can check off my list!

The weekend after that is our annual camping trip with Traci's family, which normally is at Shaver Lake, but this year will be at a new place in northern California.

Th weekend after that, we will be in the San Diego area (again!) to support our pastor who is being installed as the new Co-lead Pastor of a young church in La Mesa.

The weekend after that, we are all home for the weekend.  The weekend after that, I will be camping with the guys from my Bible study group.  And believe it or not, that leads up to the week that the girls go back to school.  No wonder Summer flies by so quickly!

Hopefully somewhere in all that craziness, I will start a new job.  I have a few prospects out there, and they are scattered all over the U.S.  The job I want the most is also the one local prospect I have right now:  Disney!!!!  If you know me, you may know that I worked at Disneyland (1995-1999) while working on my undergraduate degree.  I loved it and once I realized teaching was not where I wanted to be, I wished I had stayed with Disney because I loved working there.  Well, this may be the one opportunity I have to land something there.  I have sent them so many resumes over the years and to actually talk to a Disney HR recruiting employee this week was awesome!  It seemed like the screening call we had went pretty well.  I should know by Friday (tomorrow) whether or not they want to interview me for the position.  The commute would not be fun as the job would be located in Burbank, but for Disney, I would do it in a heartbeat!  I'm praying and hoping that this works out.  Only God knows, and I hope this is His plan for me, but that is for Him to know and me to find out.

I also have a resume in with Chevron for the same type of position (same exact work) I was doing before the layoff.  However, this position is located in Salt Lake City.  That would be interesting since the weather is a lot different than here and we have no family there.  Fortunately we do have some friends that live in that area.  I haven't heard anything from Chevron yet since the posting is open until July 29.

The other prospect is for the government, and is located in Washington, DC, but the salary starts at about 10% above what I was making at Chevron and goes up from there.  Again, much different weather, but for that much money, it would be worth the move, and the extra money could go towards travel to come back and visit family once in a while.

However, I still sit here waiting for more calls regarding positions I've applied for and continue looking for new jobs and using new job search resources I learn about.  I'll tell you though, if you are currently searching for a job, I highly highly highly recommend LinkedIn.  I have been contacted by a number of recruiters who came across my profile there.

I should probably sign off now since it's about midnight, which means it's almost Friday, which means it's the day I should hear back from Disney, which could be the beginning of something magical!

No comments: