Thursday, July 17, 2008

Enough Drama Already!

So in my post a couple of days ago, I was hoping that the drama was over and that things would be less eventful while Traci was gone. Next time, I'll keep my mouth shut...or fingers still in this case. More drama tonight, again, with Skyler. It has been a rough week for her to say the least. First the corneal abrasion, which is healing just fine, and tonight it's her left hand.

I took the girls to Disneyland after their naps today to have some fun and see if they were doing anything special for Disneyland's birthday (they didn't, at least not while we were there), and have a great time. We went on the Nemo Submarine ride at the insistence of the girls who didn't mind a long (45 minutes) line. After that it was on to Snow White and Mr. Toad and then home.

We get to the car and they get in on Skyler's/passenger's side. Since we were close to the elevators and escalators and I was going to have them change into pajamas before we left so they could fall asleep on the way home, I closed the passenger-side automatic sliding door, which was facing the direction of the escalators and elevators, and open the one on Courtney's side. As I get behind the car heading to the other side, I hear a scream from Skyler that no parent ever wants to hear coming from one of their kids. As I come back around, I notice the door is shut, but not completely, which is not supposed to happen because of the safety feature on the automatic doors. Needless to say, the door shut on her hand and I will be calling Honda tomorrow. (I love the car and Honda in general, but when something like this happens, it needs to be brought to their attention, especially when it doesn't function as it is supposed to.) Mentally, I freak out and open the door immediately as soon as I realized what happened. When it opens, she is letting her left arm just hang, which doesn't help with my mental state at that time and I begin assuming the worst (broken hand, wrist or both). Her pinky is rounded normally (bent at all knuckles) but bent back at the knuckle to the hand, like an arch from the hand, while the rest of the fingers are straight. (That is probably a bad way to describe it, but it's the best I can do.) On the middle of the top of her hand are two pinch marks from where the door closed on it. In general, I thought the worst when I saw the hand/wrist area at first. After a minute of just looking at it because I was too afraid to touch it, I felt it gently and asked her to squeeze my finger with the hand and she didn't. Then I asked her to make a fist like mine, and she was able to do that. Good sign #1! Also, when looking at it, it didn't appear that anything around the wrist or lower arm was bent where it shouldn't be and there was no immediate swelling or redness (it was white at the pinch marks). I was also able to have her grab her stuffed kitty with the hand that was hurt so I was feeling a little better, but still figured we should have it checked out at Urgent Care. They close at 10:00 and it was about 9:15 at this point. We get her and Courtney strapped in their seats and take off.

We checked in at Urgent Care around 9:50 and nobody else was waiting so they took us right in. Long story short (well, maybe not) is it appears to be just a bruise. She was using the hand normally, applying pressure and everything, and the doctor wasn't concerned once he saw how well she was using it. It still had not swollen at this point and she actually fell asleep on the way to the doctor's office (another good sign)! I gave her some Tylenol and she went to bed with no problem. I'll look at it in the morning and hopefully all I will see is a "beautiful" bruise on her hand.

I sent Traci a text once we were home and the girls were in bed and she called quickly. It was nice to talk to her because I was so shaken by the whole thing and it helped calm me down talking to her. I wasn't sure if she would still be up at 12:30 a.m. St. Louis time, but she was. Thank God for that.

So with Skyler's final follow-up appointment for her eye on Monday, and needing to take Courtney in tomorrow for an ear that is painful to the touch for her, the daily doctor visits continue. With all these visits so close together, Bright Medical (sorry, it's Bright Health Physicians now) is going to think I beat my kids! That's all I need. Hopefully tomorrow goes a lot smoother. We just have Courtney's last swim class (assuming it's ok with her doctor) and dinner with the in-laws. Should be uneventful, but the way things have gone so far this week, we'll probably have a big earthquake or something. Whatever...at this point, I say bring it on.

On a more positive note, one that I have forgotten to blog about so far, is that Skyler is potty-trained! It's amazing how it took Courtney over a year to fully master that and it took Skyler all of about a week and a half. Tonight she went to Disneyland in panties (and clothes too, you weirdos...I know some of you would say something) and she did fine. Of course 5 minutes after we started eating dinner she and Courtney said they had to go potty. So we packed up dinner (at least theirs came in boxes...mine didn't, so it sat in the stroller seat) and went to the bathroom to perform the rare bathroom hat trick. (I'm not explaining that if you can't figure it out.) Just another challenge in a challenging week so far. At this point, I think as long as nothing blows up, I'll be ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You do realize that with Skyler, the urgent care visits are just beginning...little monkey. I'm glad all is well. Makes you wonder how single parents do it, huh? And that's very impressive, btw, that Sky is potty trained. Give them both hugs for me! :)