Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Tolerably Crazy (Good and Bad) 24 Hours

Here I am, my first afternoon with just the girls and without Traci. Fortunately she was involved in some of the stuff going on, but I hope it gets a little calmer before she returns. I may go crazy if it doesn't.

The oddly crazy kicked off around 6:00 last night when Courtney and Skyler were playing like they usually do and Skyler got hit in the face with one of their plastic purses. Turns out she didn't just get hit in the face, but in the right eye. She cried and when I had a chance to look at it (Traci held her for a little bit), I could see three red dots on the white part of her inner eye. When I had a chance to look at it even closer, I could see that the eyeball was actually scratched. Upon letting her know what I could see, she suggested calling the pediatric advice line and so I did. When they eventually called back (around 7:30, after a second call from us), they recommended that we take to urgent care to have the eye examined. Traci was at the store at the time so I wasn't able to take her until she got home around 8:30. Fortunately, urgent care wasn't busy and we were seen within about 15 minutes. The result: corneal abrasion. (The doctor said there should be no permanent damage to her vision.) Considering everything they had to do just to see the damage to the eye (numbing drop, then dye to be seen by black light to see damage which showed considerable but unconcerning scratching to the inner white of the eye and a hairline scratch right to the middle of the eye, then rinsing out with water and then a pain medication/drop) she did extremely well. She wound up walking out of there with an eye patch/band-aid (arrrrrrgh, matey!) and three stickers. The patch was for added protection of the eye, which the doctor said should be healed by today. We have a follow up appointment at 3:10 this afternoon. From what I could see this morning, it already looks a lot better.

Traci left for St. Louis this morning for PartyLite's National Convention. Her flight took off at 6:10 this morning, so we, including Courtney on her own, were up at 3:00 am! We dropped her off at LAX at about 4:30 and were back home about 5:15. All three of us managed to sleep another hour and a half, which is why I'm not sleeping right now. She has landed and I just got off the phone with her from her hotel room. All is good.

The girls had their gymnastics class this morning (a summer class through the city) and it was really fun to get to see them doing so well. It makes me a proud daddy!

Then during lunch, to cap off this crazy time so far, we get a call from LA Models, whom Courtney met at the school (ICA) where she took an acting class last summer/fall. She has a callback on Monday! This will be her second callback with an agent. (The other was with Clear Talent where she is welcome to come back for another callback anytime.)

So now I let them nap and wait to take Skyler to her eye checkup in about an hour and a half.

No comments: