Friday, September 5, 2008

The First Sights of Boston



Once we got a grip on where we were and got out into the city, Eric and I had fun taking in the local sights. We started off walking the length of Newbury St, which was lined with shops and cafes. Once we had been walking for a while, we decided to find a place for lunch and settled on Joe's American Grill. It sounded good and was reasonably priced, so we got a table.

Once we had indulged in our first taste of Boston, we headed off to Copley Square, home of the library and Trinity Church. The picture you see for this blog is me in front of Trinity Church. The architecture is amazing. It really shows how long it has been around and how much care they put into the design of the building. The stain glass windows were the most amazing I have ever seen. The detail on them was amazing. I have pictures of the inside of the church, but will probably just post them on MySpace (and maybe Facebook as well).

The library's architecture was pretty cool too. The inside was more amazing than the outside. The main reading hall was beautiful. There were actually a few people in there reading too, so we had to be quiet. I actually took a few seconds to look at a book in front of me about how the author ranked each of the presidents (up through Clinton) on various aspects of their presidency. Kind of interesting, especially to me because there were lots of numbers involved!

At this point in the day, we were pretty tired and still had a few hours to go until Micah arrived. So it was back to our room for a quality nap. And it was well worth it, especially after the bumpy red-eye flight.

Next up: let the fun begin!

1 comment:

micah said...

Yeah, the party didn't start, of course, until I arrived. :-) BTW, I've got a bunch of pictures from the trip on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27458936@N08/ (You'll have to scroll down a bit.)