Sunday, September 21, 2008

Freedom Trail - Copp's Hill Burying Ground



Copp's Hill Burying Ground was the last cemetery on the Freedom Trail. It has a beautiful vantage point that was understandably used during the Battle at Bunker Hill. (Did you think I could sound that intelligent?) It is in a neat location and is also the last stop on the trail before crossing over the river to the last two spots along the trail.

If you look closely at the picture of the headstone here, you can see how old the burying ground is. It is two of Copp's sons who died Dec. 22, 1661 (at the age of 2 weeks and July 25, 1678 (at the age of 2 3/4 years). When I saw the ages, my heart kind of sank as I couldn't imagine losing kids that young. Granted, times were different back then, but that doesn't make it any easier.

As I mentioned, just two more stops along the freedom trail. Then I'll just start picking out other pictures from the trip and sharing some more fun stories from a trip I'm still remembering very fondly.

No comments: