Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Final Night in Boston



Our final night in Boston was a fitting end to one of the more enjoyable trips I've been on. After leaving Fenway Park, we went back and showered and changed which felt great after sitting in the sun for almost three hours. The we headed of to check out Harvard. This was pretty much the last thing we really wanted to do on our trip that we had discussed before the trip. It is a beautiful campus, as you might expect. While we were walking around there were many parents there as this was the weekend before classes started and everyone was returning to the campus. They were even holding freshman orientation while we were there. It sounds like they were having a lot of fun. It also brought back odd, not-so-pleasant feelings to me as I never did enjoy the freshman/new student orientation, being the introvert that I am.

After we had walked around the campus for a little while and seen some of the buildings on the campus, we decided to go have dinner and wound up eating at an Italian restaurant in a neighboring neighborhood. The food was really good and this was the first of three locations where we enjoyed a fair amount of alcohol. The Italian place had a really good red wine, of which we got a bottle (to split, not each).

After that, we headed over to check out a bar that apparently was well known in the area and is popular with MIT students. The drinks and menu are on a periodic table of elements. We found it, but it was really small, there were no available seats and we didn't feel like waiting around. So we left.

We walked just a little bit down the street and found a nice sports bar where we continued our drinking ways. This is actually where I had my favorite drink of the weekend, despite the razzing from Eric for the name of it: Toasted Nuts & Berries. The thing that sold me was the fact that there was chocolate in it. I could barely taste the alcohol, which could be part of the reason I liked it so much. I forget what else was in it, but it was really good. I could have had many more of those if we had stayed there. They had the Dodgers-Diamondbacks game on while we were there, so we watched that while we drank. After a while, we left.

We then headed off to see the famous Cheers bar; the one the TV show was named and modeled after. It was nothing fancy, but of course had a lot of memorabilia from the show. I forget what time we got there, but it was late. Here we continued our drinking ways and split a really good appetizer with wings, mozzarella sticks, potato skins and stuff like that. While we were there, a bride, groom, some of the wedding party and parents walked in to hang out. It was kind of cool as this was the third wedding we had seen while in Boston. We joked about crashing one of them, but this one came to us, or at least the same place as us. Eventually, Cheers closed (yes, that's how late it was) and we left. Our waiter there was pretty cool and laid back, helped us with suggestions for food and drinks and all around was a good guy from what I could tell. When we left I was glad we didn't have a car. I don't think I would have trusted any of us to drive at this point, although we could still keep our balance fine. Anyway, we made it back to the subway and made the ride back to where we were staying. Again, I forget what time it was when we got back, but I'd be surprised if it was before midnight. Probably not the best move when we had a 7:00 flight the next morning.

Needless to say, this was a great night of hanging out with friends and just enjoying the times. I'll wrap up my Boston blogs with one more about miscellaneous stuff I haven't hit on yet, like the interesting people we met (two specifically).

No comments: