Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Freedom Trail



Saturday was the day we literally walked all over Boston. We did the Freedom Trail. This is a 3-mile walking tour of 16 historic sites throughout Boston. As mentioned in my previous blog, we had set out alarms for 10:00 this morning after crawling into bed around 2:00. Good thing too as 10:00 seemed to come way too early!

So after we had breakfast at Dunkin Donuts (huge on the east coast apparently), which was quite satisfying and yummy if I do say so myself, we jumped on the T and headed to Boston Common where the Freedom Trail starts. We headed off about 11:00 on this 3-mile journey. (The picture posted is off the three of us surrounding the Freedom Trail marker in front of the Massachusetts State House, symbolizing our walk along the historical path.) It was definitely an all-day thing. We arrived at the last sight, Bunker Hill Monument, at about 5:45! (Keep in mind we had lunch at a restaurant along the trail that took almost 2 hours due to very slow service...we're talking put your drink requests in a half hour before you need them, but still that's almost 5 hours of walking!) Nonetheless, we made it and survived. And it was well worth it.

I have never been a history buff, but some of the sites on this trail were amazing. I think what I'll do for the next series of blogs is provide you a link to each of the 16 sites with a picture from each of the sites. My goal while walking the Freedom Trail was to get at least one picture at all 16 of the sites along the way. I was successful at that, so stay tuned. However, you should know that I will not be posting another blog about the trip until Thursday as I travel to No Cal for work tomorrow for a couple of days.

No comments: