Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Election Day Debate

If you know me very well, you know I almost never talk about politics. I do of course have my opinions, which is one of the reasons I started this blog. Yesterday a friend of ours sent out an e-mail urging us to vote against Proposition 8 and well, the rest is what you read below. (Please keep in mind I am not posting every e-mail in the exchange, but am posting many. Since I was at work and didn't want my opinions to run the risk of being passed off as my company's view, I was having Traci forward them for me, except for the last one which I sent from home after voting last night.) I don't think I usually ask for feedback on blogs, but this a definite exception. Please let me know what you think about this discussion, and more specifically, my arguments/defense. Am I off base? Is my argument weak? Am I wrong or a bad human being for thinking the way I do? I like to think not, but am very interested in what you think. Please be honest, whether it's for or against me. Hopefully you can follow the flow of what was said. Be warned, this is an extremely long post!

Original e-mail from Alli:
Dear friends and family,

While my academic background previous to this year focused primarily on Asian history, this past semester I have enjoyed my first opportunity to teach American history. It has been both an honor and an eye-opening experience. In learning more about US history in the course of preparing to teach it, I have gained a deeper appreciation for the values of liberty and freedom our country was founded upon.

Tonight I am writing to share some of the things I have learned and urge you to vote to uphold American values. I am of the opinion that Proposition 8 is distinctly un-American and I would like to explain why I think so based on the history of our great country.

People often toss around notions of the Constitution and the values of our Founding Fathers. It is important to recall what those Fathers actually believed and fought for because I think that State Propositions in general are a potential threat to those values. Many Americans seem to think that this country is fundamentally a democracy. It is not. We are a republic based on indirect democracy. Why? What the Founding Fathers most feared was the "tyranny" of majority rule. They were very concerned about the ability of the majority to restrict the liberties of the minority, in other words, themselves. (They were elite members of an economic minority.) They realized that given direct popular vote on legislation, it would be all too easy for majority rule to reduce or restrict the freedoms of others. This is why they created a system in which we vote not directly for laws, but for representatives who will create legislation. They also created a system of checks and balances which gave the judicial branch oversight on protecting the constitution and individual liberties from the tyranny of the majority. In other words, when judges strike down laws which restrict the rights of a small group, even when that is what the majority has voted on, they are doing their job as foreseen by the Founding Fathers in upholding the American political system. Imagine the precedent that could be set by a new system of majority rule in California. Imagine how this could potentially effect the restriction of other types of liberties, such as religious expression, or freedom of association. Majority rule would mean that the liberties of smaller groups of voters could be restricted and this could potentially effect your liberties too. Our country is most definitely not based on the idea that the personal beliefs of the majority should be reflected in new legislation. This is a dangerous notion indeed.

Liberties have often been endangered throughout US history and for this reason we must be vigilant in upholding freedom and equality even when it doesn't conform to our own personal beliefs and moral standards. For example, though freedom of speech has been on the Bill of Rights since our country's inception, this right has been totally unprotected for much of our history. Up until the early 1900s there was little to no recognition of this basic freedom. In most cities in California during this period, citizens would have to approve any speeches they wished to make in public with the local mayor. This is just one example of a freedom we tend to take for granted as part of the basis of our country, without recognizing the constant struggle entailed in protecting such freedoms. Civil liberties of others have often been restricted by the beliefs of the majority only to be struck down by Superior Court judges whose duty compels them to protect all citizens equally rather than allow the tyranny of the majority.

Today it is the 14th Amendment to the US constitution that is imperiled by attempts at legislation like Prop 8. The 14th Amendment specifically requires states to provide equal protections of civil liberties under the law to all citizens of the United States. The year 1948 saw a case on marriage in which the judge ruled against the constitutionality of another law supported by the majority of the California voting population: Section 69 of the California Civil Code stated that marriage between different races was not recognized by the state. This landmark case, "Perez v. Sharp" began the process of overturning marriage restrictions on the basis of race. The court held that marriage is a fundamental right of citizens of the United States and that laws restricting that right must not be based solely on personal belief. "Marriage is thus something more than a civil contract subject to regulation by the state; it is a fundamental right of free men." (Perez v. Sharp 32 Cal.2d 711, 714-715)

"Eliminating rights," the title of Proposition 8, is simply un-American. I urge you to vote not on what you believe to be right or wrong regarding marriage or sexual morality, but to uphold the basis of our nation: the equal protection of personal, civil liberties under the law and the same freedoms for all citizens. This is nothing short of what Americans have been fighting for since the birth of our country.

My response:
She has a good, very educated stance, but I would not feel right voting no on 8. I know that faith played a big role in the lives of our country's founding fathers and played a role in the formation of our country. Thus the words "In God We Trust" on all pieces of money. If we trust God but vote for something that contradicts His word, we are hypocrites. That's my 2-cent rebuttal.

Since I follow God and try to make Him the center of my life and actions, I cannot in good conscience vote to recognize gay marriage when that is not an acceptable lifestyle to God.

Josh's (I don't know who he is) response:
I'm sure that when blacks were asking for equal rights, people also cited faith as a reason to withhold them. Sure, many blacks at the turn of the century were not christians, so I guess they didn't deserve equal rights. By that account, perhaps white jews didn't deserve them either.

There is a reason why the founding fathers, all of whom were very religious, put into the constitution a separation of church and state. Keep religion where it belongs, out of politics. Every man, woman, and child in this country deserves, nay, demands equal rights and recognition under the law. There is no difference between this discrimination and any other. If you insist that you must vote yes on something like proposition 8, then you should also happily accept the label of Bigot.

Religious doctrine has been changed and manipulated over time. You can not deny this, as none of you have been stoned to death for dishonoring your parents, nor have you gone around stoning others. If you have no beard, then you are breaking religious doctrine. Don't use something so antiquated to try and make yourself look like less of a bigot. If you are going to vote yes on Proposition 8, then just admit that you have a problem accepting your other humans for what they are. I have a funny feeling you would feel differently if someone else was in charge (by someone else, I mean not white and christian) and you were suddently wanting more rights.


My response ("my husband") and Traci's ("me") response:
This is from my husband:
No kidding. And we wonder why our country is in the shape it is in? He makes it sounds like I can't accept gays or may even be a homophobe. He also makes me sounds like a racist. I'm not saying I'm the most educated person, but perhaps he should get to know someone before making personal attacks. I gave my opinion on something and expect others to have their own opinion. That's what this country is about and why we vote in the first place. Debates are fine and healthy, disrespect is not.

To directly go against one of his points, I can accept people for who they are. I may not agree with choices they make, but that is a huge difference from not accepting them. I have friends that do things I don't agree with, but I accept them as they are. For example, Matt responded to my comments and we don't agree with each other, but we respect each other. It just bothers me that someone I don't know would personally attack me without knowing me. If someone wants to hate me after getting to know me, fine. Hating me (and especially degrading me) without knowing me, that's where I have the problem.

This is from me:
You just made my own case for me. I am tollerant of their opinions, lifestyles, and identities. This just shows how little you know of me. I am tollerant of it, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it or agree with it. Of course we should accept people as they are and the lifestyle they chose to lead.

If this prop doesn't pass than those churches you speak of will hear about it. There will be problems when gays show up at their doors and they refuse to marry them. So it does/will become a "civil rights" issue. After all, they are claiming that marriage is a fundamental right. So, if it is a fundamental right, then those churches who do not agree with or believe in it will surely see the outcomes of this. Don't try to pretend it won't happen just because you don't have a problem with any specific church or person not allowing it.

And regarding the New Testament. Seriously, maybe you should read it. Because he says that we are to do away with the old laws. Like abbiding by the Sabbath and all of those rules. Galations chapter 2 and 3 has a lot to say about this. If you do not have a bible, I would be glad to quote it all for you.

Josh's response:
To your husband:
I am not here to insult you. Nor am I here to insult your wife. But I am here to call a spade a spade. If you vote yes on a proposition that limits one groups rights simply because you can not agree with their lifestyle, then you are not very tolerant of them. That is not an insult, but a fact. Tolerance (and justice for that matter) implies that you are blind to their life choices, as long as they are not infringing on your personal rights. You have the right to despise homosexuality and gay marriage, and you have the right to speak out about it, and I would never dream of taking away your rights because I think that would be bad for society.

I respect you and your wife as people, even though I disagree with your politics. I have married into a family where many of the family members have different political views than I do, and yet I love all of them without question and respect their right to have an opinion. I don't hate nor do I degrade you, but I think you should realize that your stance is a stance of bigotry.

To your wife:
If, as you say, you are tolerant of other people, then why not allow them the right to marry? Why would you take that away from them? Do you really think that gay men and women will want to get married in churches where they are not welcome, or that they will start showing up randomly at your doors asking for nuptials? If you are truly tolerant, as you claim, then you would tolerate their desires to get married and let them do their thing while you do your. A vote for Proposition 8 is a vote against tolerance.

I appreciate your offer to read me the new testament. I have read it before, and it is a wonderful text. I'm sure you are more knowledgeable about it than I am, so I will trust that you have the readings correct.

And, finally, I would hope that, if I was being a bigot, that someone would stand up to me and call me one. It is important that we not stand by when we feel that anyone is infringing upon anothers rights. So, if you feel offended by the fact that I am calling intolerance bigotry, that is your right. But I will not apologize for standing up for those who are underrepresented and for calling out those who wish to take away their rights.

My response:
Well, Josh, one last comment from me for the night. The bottom line here is that we have two differing opinions, partly based on two different definitions of the word tolerance, and that we are going to have to agree to disagree. Here is the definition I have been presented with: Tolerance (and justice for that matter) implies that you are blind to their life choices, as long as they are not infringing on your personal rights. My definition of tolerance is acknowledging and accepting differences. Tolerating does not mean I have to agree. I can disagree with something or someone and still tolerate it or them. To me, being blind to something qualifies as being ignorant. (And don't even try to convince me that tolerance = justice.) If Prop 8 fails, which it appears it will based on pre-election polls, then I will be tolerant of gay marriage. I still won't agree with it, but I will tolerate it. Also, I don't despise homosexuality or gay marriage, I just don't agree with it. Again, difference between despise and not agreeing with something.

Also, passing off opinions as fact is probably not the right approach in a debate, as it undermines the whole argument. You can call me a bigot, that's fine, but it's not a fact which you make it come across as. It's your opinion based on your definitions as I discussed above. There is a huge difference between fact and opinion. You can say you didn't degrade me, but you did. What you said about me was offensive, mainly because you have no idea who I am outside of today's expressed opinions, and that's how I feel. (I wonder if we have different opinions on definitions or interpretations on the word degrade as well.)

At this point I'm really just poking holes in your argument from my point of view. You're not going to change my point of view and I'm not going to change yours. I have no problem with that. I placed my vote and I hope you placed yours. I rarely get involved with political debates, but it has been interesting to do this today. At least we live in a country where we can have these discussion and vote to express our opinions.

And Matt, thanks for sticking up for me. You know who we really are and I know that despite our differing opinions, we can still hang out, respect each other and have fun. You also made a good point about making implications about polygamy and pedophilia as a result of Prop 8 passing. I also thought that was a weak argument for Prop 8, despite supporting the same point of view. It just goes to show you that even people with similar views and supporting the same things can have different thoughts and opinions.

Until next election,
Scott

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a whole lot of debating to take in. Honestly, with the way people were fired up about this whole issue, I was pretty shocked to see that Prop 8 passed in CA. Sadly enough, this seems to be an issue that will never fully be resolved. I'm sure you already know I'm in the same boat as you on this one, so I completely agree with your argument re: tolerance. It's not about hate or intolerance for those of us who are followers of Christ...far from it. It's about us actually following Christ and the principles he set before us. And just like those on the other side of this argument are standing up for what they believe in, they need to understand that that's what we're doing as well. I think that's where the whole issue of tolerance needs to come into play. People didn't necessarily (*note: I said "necessarily") vote Yes on 8 in order to discriminate against or try to take away others' rights, and most certainly not out of hate. They voted Yes on 8 because that's what they believed was the right thing to do. It just saddens me to hear so many people making assumptions and passing judgement on others based on the way they voted.

Anyway, very interesting blog. It's always good to hear your thoughts and to "see" what's going on with you guys. One of these days I'm going to have to give in to the peer pressure and start one myself...one day. :) Love & hugs to all the Steinmans!

Heidi said...

I'm with you Scott. And I was very proud of you for speaking up as I know you do not do that often! As I spoke out on my blog, we are following our one TRUE leader Jesus Christ and that's all that matters. When you meet up with Him one day, he will be able to tell you that He was pleased with your actions...something to look forward to!! =0)

Matt, Allie, Emma, and Daylen said...

Hi Scott ( and Susie!)

Well as you know by now prop 8 did pass. And while it is being challenged on a number of legal and constitutional fronts, to me the overriding issue here is that people seem to think their personal religious belief should be law, regardless of who it discriminates against.Sadly, the one refrain I heard over and over again from people was that they were voting their "beliefs". At no time did anyone provide me with a logical/legal/sociological reason why Gays shouldn't marry. Honestly, and not to be rude, but this is the sort of thing that goes on in Saudi Arabia, or Iran, or Somalia where a 13 year old girl was just stoned for adultery. Obviously we're not that bad nor will we ever hopefully be but this sort of thinking that one groups religious views should be law over the personal( meaning not affecting anyone else) rights of another is not the values and dare I say "beliefs" that our country was founded upon.

I know that neither of you are bigots or believe in discrimination but sadly that's exactly what this proposition wrote into law. For 100,000 people in California this wasn't an academic or moral "discussion," or a question of your "opinion," this was a measure that stripped them of their rights and defined their relationships as not as important, valuable, or good as yours( and mine.)

I know that this argument probably won't have any effect on either of your beliefs but I would hope you would at least honestly admit to yourselves that this is a discriminatory measure, even if you do feel that it is what God would want.

With all due repect...

Matt, Allie, Emma, and Daylen said...

Normally I (Allie) would leave well enough alone, but since my private email was posted publicly here w/o my permission I feel like I should add a couple of clarifying points.

1- Tolerance is NOT defined by an absence of hate. Here's what tolerance is:
a: sympathy or indulgence for beliefs or practices differing from or conflicting with one's own b: the act of allowing something

I think both apply to this situation since voting for Prop 8 was neither indulgent nor allowing.

2. While it might be comforting to believe so, it is pretty self-delusional to believe that voting for a measure to take away other's rights doesn't mean you necessarily want to take away other's rights. If you think your religion requires you to discriminate you should be able to accept that action as is.

3. You should not believe everything you hear. Separation of church and state IS in the Constitution, just not that exact phrase, which was used by Jefferson in many of his writings and thus attained great popularity. The clauses which stipulate the separation of church and state are the "Establishment Clause" and the "Free Exercise Clause"

4. The points on religion and our nation's founders as sent out by a historian friend of mine:

"Phrases like "in God we Trust" - on money and in the pledge of allegiance - are not a sign of founders' belief that religion guided US government or our elected representatives. Indeed, the founders did not use this phrase in the 1780s or at all during their lifetimes (preferring instead the other phrase we see on our coinage: "e pluribus unum"). The phrase referred to was added coinage during the Civil War and, significantly, to the Pledge of Allegiance only in the 1950s (as a Cold War-effort to smoke out godless communists whom many Americans believed were infiltrating every aspect of American life).

Moreover, the founding fathers were - in general - not Christians. Except for John Adams, most of them subscribed to the religious philosophy of Deism. The founders were deeply suspicious of organized religion and of the problems they believed it created in social and political life - especially where a country instituted a state religion. This is why the founders included clauses mandating that organized religion should not interfere in government nor government with organized religion. None other than Thomas Jefferson authored this clause - and, at the end of his life, he listed this as one of his greatest achievements (notably he did not include his two terms as president).

Thus, a vote for proposition 8 based on the religious views of one particular faith goes against the notion of government established by the founding fathers and against, as you put so well, the protection of minority rights."